Wednesday, March 11, 2009

good to be home

nothing like a few weeks away to make me really appreciate my life at home. i always have such amazing adventures when i travel and i've been lucky to get the opportunity to do quite a bit, but i generally find myself so completely outside of my routine that it seems impossible for me to stay on track. granted sometimes i do better than others, but i realize when i'm traveling just how much exercise that i have built into my week that i miss out on when i'm away. of course, there are my scheduled turbulence training workouts, but on top of that there's all the bike riding that i do as a commuter, the demonstrating i do when i'm teaching yoga, and five to seven hours of standing and lifting heavy things at my job. i'll usually slip in a few body weight workouts when i'm away from home and do some running (and remember how much i hate running...) but it never seems to add up. then there's all the amazing food that i have to try when i'm in a new place. i know that doing some planning ahead of time can help me to stay somewhat more on track, but i have never successfully made it through a vacation with the same focus and discipline that i'm able to give my diet and workouts in my everyday life. it makes me realize what a creature of habit i am. having a routine is SO essential to my success. and that routine can be anything from eating the same spinach omelet almost every morning (i somehow never tire of it) to doing my workouts mon/wed/fri without even thinking about it. i know that i tend to beat myself up for getting so off track sometimes, but i also have to acknowledge how much a part of my life fitness has become. along with a few bad habits that i still have yet to give up i have instilled several new healthy ones. and if losing a bit of control while on vacation is something i'll always do, well i suppose worse things could happen...

1 comment:

Kaydee said...

Wow, you look GREAT! This is my first time coming across your blog, and I am very impressed with your transformation. I have a few questions I would love to ask you. I would appreciate it if you would email me at kaydeem@yahoo.com. Thanks,
Kaydee