Tuesday, December 2, 2008

i was flipping through an old magazine today and found an article in which the author was discussing the different ways that we document our lives (photo albums, scrapbooks, videos, etc) and how we define ourselves by who we know, where we've been, what we've done. but she then went on to speculate that "the story of our lives is told as much by what we cook and eat as by anything else." she encouraged the reader to imagine making an autobiographical cookbook and then postulated that "along with the development of your eating habits, wouldn't it also track the progress of your soul?" and i think that, for me, there is a lot of truth in that statement. the times when my soul has felt a little more at peace or that i've felt more grounded in my life are generally the times when i am eating a nourishing diet easily and enjoying it. and the times when life seems to be falling apart or the going gets rough (ironically, the times when a nourishing diet is most critical) are the times when i fall into destructive eating patterns or eat things that don't support my body and its well-being. it made me sad to think that my autobiographical cookbook would seem to have multiple personalities, and would be one that i would be proud to share with others only some of the time. when i'm at my weakest i realize that i tend to always rationalize poor food choices by telling myself that i can always get on track tomorrow, or next week, or some undetermined time in the future. but the truth is is that the choices that i make today matter in the long run and it's okay to make a poor choice every once in a while (especially when made consciously), but justifying a string of poor choices because there's always time in the future to make good ones is a recipe for disaster...that's one recipe i'd like to exclude from my autobiographical cookbook.

with that said, today was another good day. my yum for eating food included:

meal 1: spinach, eggs, parmesan, roasted red pepper sauce
meal 2: nf latte, whey protein, baby carrots, string cheese, celery, peanut butter
meal 3: brown rice, coconut milk, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, onions, shrimp

today's an impromptu eat stop eat day. i have to say that i still love the flexibility that eat stop eat gives me. i haven't been planning my fasting days in anymore, but am just taking them when they seem necessary (ahem, day after thanksgiving anyone?) and it seems to be working well for me. yay :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that your eating habits show the course of your life and soul. Recently I started taking health shakes and eating organic and I feel so much better. Your menu shows great discipline!